Saturday, June 20, 2009

Back to Toledo

After deciding that the train schedule was far to sketchy to invest in a more distant and adventurous weekend trip, I ended up spending Saturday afternoon and evening back in Toledo.

I was just fine with this, as it gave me a chance to look at the Romanesque murals of the church of San Román at greater length. I hope to find a way to incorporate them into my research. The church was rebuilt and reconsecratedin 1221 by the same Archbishop of Toledo who was instrumental in managing the Las Navas campaign in 1212. The extensive wall murals date to that period. I have been trying to work out some sort of coherent meaning in the series of paintings and texts.

The return to Toledo also gave me a chance to visit the park in which I spent so much of my time last month, and eat at the very neat outdoor grill restaurant there. The six or so hours I got to spend there today certainly cemented Toledo's place as my favorite Spanish city.

No comments:

Post a Comment