Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Madrid vs smaller cities


The new, northern business district here in Madrid looks like it belongs in Atlanta. That is really unfortunate, but it is several miles north of the center of town, thankfully. Still, this really exemplifies my current perspective on Madrid. Since my family lives in Madrid, I have always made it the center of my trips to Spain. Prior to this trip, I had not spent a night in Spain outside the capital since 1984. In many ways, Madrid was Spain to me.

This trip has been a very pleasant change to that model. Of course I spent two weeks in Toledo, but also two days in Córdoba, and a night in Valdepeñas. As a result, I have totally changed my perspective on this country. Spain is a much nicer place outside of the capital. The small towns have character, atmosphere, and history. Anyone travelling to Spain should endeavor to spend as much time in the smaller towns as possible.

Now this is not to say that Madrid is a bad city. Madrid is actually a great city. It reminds me a lot of NYC. It is full of fascinating museums, beautiful architecture, and all of the hum and chaos of a twenty-four hour metropolis. There are now almost six million people in the Comunidad (the greater metropolitan area of Madrid is its own province). I think that makes it the third or fourth largest city in Europe.

So my perspective on Madrid has changed permanently. This is probably to be expected, and I am sure I don't need to explain to too many people the advantages that a city the size of Asheville has over a city the size of L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment