Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What they do right in Spain


Since I have nothing dramatically blog-worthy planned until at least this weekend, I am going to do a series of posts about things they do well or poorly, or simply differently here in Spain. The basis for my comparison, of course, will primarily be the United States.

So the first post continues the on-again, off-again discussion of cars. The wide array of small and efficient cars is certainly one of the things that is done well in Spain. Many of them are diesel, to boot. However, it is worth noting that I did not see bio-diesel in any of the gas stations I visited when I rented a car last month. I will check further, but this is a marked contrast to Italy, where we saw lots of bio-diesel. On the other hand, olive oil costs less than gas here, so you could just poor it straight in the tank during the super-hot summers.

Anyway, this picture is from an advertisement on a construction-site dust shield. We aren't getting Toyota iQs in the US soon. The car is advertised here as getting about 54 mpg. I like the slogan: one in five people are not able to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment